Anaxagoras (500 BC. – 428 BC), also known as Anaxagoras de Clazomene, is one of the most recognized pre-socratic philosophers. Born in Clazómenas, in present-day Turkey, although he lived his best years in Athens.
Among his outstanding disciples, we find Pericles, Protagoras, and Thucydides, the playwright Euripides and it is suspected that he could also count among his students with Socrates and Democritus.
Anaxagoras was the first thinker who spoke about the notion of “nous” (mind, thought) as an axial concept in his work. The only book from which fragments were preserved is the famous “On Nature”.
Great Phrases Of Anaxagoras Of Clazomene
In today’s article, we will discover Anaxagoras’ best and famous quotes, which will allow us to delve into the work of one of the most undervalued Greek philosophers.
- If you cheat me once, it’s your fault; If you cheat on me, it’s mine.
Certainly, being deceived twice by the same person is not taking the appropriate measures.
- Science harms both those who do not know how to use it and how much it is useful to others.
There are people who do not understand the true meaning of the scientific method.
- Man is intelligent because he has hands.
Our capacities have their cause in the possibility of manipulating and constructing increasingly complex objects.
- Intelligence knows all things and ordered all things that are going to be and those that were and those that are now and those that are not.
One of those phrases about the intelligence that links it with the creative gift.
- All things participate in everything, while intelligence is infinite and governs itself and is not mixed with anything.
A proof of his philosophical monism.
- Spirit governs the universe.
An essentialist phrase.
- Intelligence is the purest of all things. It has total knowledge of each thing, and it is the maximum strength.
Another famous quote by Anaxagoras about knowledge.
- Nothing is born, or anything is perished. Life is an aggregation, death a separation.
Reflection about the animated.
- When the voice of an enemy accuses, the silence of a friend condemns.
On friendship and betrayal, in one of the most reproduced Anaxagoras phrases.
- Movement defines what is alive.
The dynamism and its qualities, according to the Greek thinker.
- Everything has a natural explanation. The moon is not a god, but a great rock and the sun, a hot rock.
One of the astronomical principles of which Anaxagoras theorized.
- Appearances are a vision of the occult.
Intuition leads us to love or hate people we barely know.
- Men would live incredibly calm if these two words, mine and yours, were taken away.
The notion of private property is one of the biggest causes of discomfort and greed.