Human beings do not function automatically when it comes to affections. Thinking about someone is a reflection that that person has meaning for you. However, it may happen that stopping thinking about her in the way you do, is the most convenient. For example, when you’re in love with someone who doesn’t belong to you.
Therefore, it is not so much a question of stopping thinking about someone but of changing the focus of this emotional experience. How do you stop thinking about someone? In psychologypedia we give you ideas to get someone out of the head.
- 1 How to stop thinking about someone you like
- 2 When do you stop thinking about someone? Four situations
How to stop thinking about someone you like
This process of forgetting is gradual and gradual. How to achieve this purpose?
1.Try To Keep Your Mind Occupied On Other Matters
For example, you can learn a new language, attend classes at a course you like, go to the gym, focus on immediate work occupations, develop a job Improvement plan, surprise friends with special details… Does that mean you’re not gonna remember that person anymore? No, but when you act this way, you lead your attention by programming an agenda that requires your personal involvement.
2.Don’t Do Things That Will Harm
For example, when you consult that person’s social networks, you feed their memory instead of forgetting. To distance yourself from this person it is advisable to avoid those situations that lead you to reinforce the image of that someone in your mind. For example, avoid seeing pictures.
And what if at some point you can’t help it? Be nice to yourself and move on.
3.Focus On Their Shortcomings
Instead of feeding idealization, focus on those aspects you don’t like. You can also remember behaviors that you don’t find admirable. You can enhance the process of forgetfulness by consciously focusing on this perspective. Find out here how to stop idealizing someone.
Share with others your utmost confidence in your commitment to forget that person. When you verbalize your desire to Essential friends, you increase your involvement in this goal. In addition, they will also be a support to you in being able to comment on details of this evolution. To forget someone you need time, but time doesn’t do it all by itself.
5.Meet Other People
When you feel someone is unforgettable, you run the risk of locking yourself in that thought. However, when instead of isolating yourself, you try to activate your social relationships to nurture your emotional well-being with conversations and encounters, you are broadening your map at this point in your life.
However, beyond this advice, the ultimate key to change lies in the clear conviction that forgetting him is the best thing that can happen to you.
When do you stop thinking about someone? Four situations
In what cases can you consider stopping thinking about someone? In psychologypedia, we list a catalog of possible situations:
1.Stop Thinking About Your Ex
A breakup of a couple does not materialize completely until that person has also internalized that information in his mind and heart. That’s when goodbye takes on a deep meaning. To stop thinking about your ex, you have to do a necessary grieving process.
2.Stop Thinking About Someone Whose Memory Makes You Suffer.
When a person’s memory is synonymous with pain for you, you need to move beyond this fact to heal the emotions you feel around this experience. The human being is so complex that person can suffer from a distant memory of the past. For example, it may happen that, in relation to this point, it causes you to suffer what might and was not. Or the eternal question of not knowing what would have happened in case you made a different decision in life. No one can be a fortune teller of yesterday, the reality is what it was. Focus on your present!
3.Give Much And Receive Little
The bank account of personal relationships is at a good time when there is a balance between giving and receiving. However, when you have the repetitive pain of getting involved with a person who usually responds with indifference and this affects you in the form of suffering, it is advisable that you stop thinking of that someone as a priority for you.
4.When Memory Steals More From You Than What It Gives You
The thought is part of life, as is a memory. When thinking about someone becomes a weight that takes you away from the desired state of illusion, joy, and well-being, it is good to do something about it. For example, when this thought becomes a form of mental rumination.
4 reasons to stop thinking about someone you don’t want
- That person may have had his moment in your life, however, for certain circumstances, it must remain yesterday. It is important to forget the past and live the present.
- To forget someone you not only have to get out of your mind but also out of your thinking.
- When you spend so much time in your life thinking about someone who should be in your past, you leave no room for the new.
- Maybe thinking about that someone is your only way to maintain the soul bond through the emotions you experience inside you. However, you have to let go of this memory to accept reality.
5.The Tips To Stop Thinking About Someone According To Psychologypedia
Finally, in order to forget someone, we must follow some advice offered by psychologypedia:
- It concludes why you have made this decision and acts in a manner consistent with this initial motivation.
- Concrete a plan. What are you gonna do to stop thinking about that person so much? Draw up a list of actions you can do to achieve this end.
- Mark goals you can meet to strengthen your level of self-confidence. Don’t make impossible promises. Do not hasten the process of forgetting through haste. Take as much time as you need, but get on your way.
- Read every day a phrase inspired by a famous author. And it connects with the message of the day as a mantra of fulfillment. If one date doesn’t help you especially, trade it for another.
- Write a farewell letter expressing a message of forgetfulness. Writing it and verbalizing it will help you take the first step.
How do you stop thinking about someone? Starting to think about you.
This article is merely informative, in psychologypedia, we have no faculty to make a diagnosis or recommend treatment. We invite you to see a psychologist to deal with your particular case.