Sometimes it’s not enough for a student to finish a degree. In order to ascend the scale, one must complete additional studies in his field. After obtaining a four-year bachelor’s degree, one can continue and obtain a two-year master’s degree.
Going further, you can get a doctorate. If you are a graduate of liberal arts and Sciences, you can obtain a doctorate in philosophy. And if you graduated in psychology, you can get a degree in Psychology.
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) is a postgraduate degree awarded by universities that began as a doctorate in liberal arts, but now includes those with a bachelor’s degree in other fields of study. It has been developed because the doctorates were awarded only in theology, medicine, and law.
It is one of the oldest doctoral degrees and focuses on research combined with applied training. Psychologists who study for a doctorate usually investigate to advance in the field of psychology, study theories and apply them. It also takes longer to complete a doctoral course because the thesis includes research on subjects that have not been addressed before, defends it and makes contributions to its development. It also receives more funding because research projects in an institution take longer to complete.
Doctor of Psychology (PsyD), on the other hand, is a PhD for clinical psychologists. A graduate with a PsyD degree can obtain a license to diagnose and treat mental disorders, perform psychological tests, evaluations, and extend psychotherapy to patients.
It is designed for psychology graduates only and is similar to a medical doctor. It focuses on clinical and therapeutic training and how to apply knowledge in the treatment of patients. It takes less time to complete a PsyD degree because only one simple thesis is required for students.
Since the training to obtain a PsyD degree involves working with patients and little research, it does not receive funds as much as a PhD. Only the professional areas of psychology, such as clinical and counseling. While a PhD directs a student towards a career as a researcher, teacher or professional, a PsyD directs a student towards a career as a clinical psychologist and therapist. A psychology graduate can have a PhD and a PsyD degree.
- Doctor of Philosophy is a graduate degree that is awarded to graduates of liberal arts and other fields.
- Doctor of Psychology is a PhD awarded to psychology graduates.
- A PhD receives more funds for research in an institution, while a PsyD receives little or no funding, as it involves less research and is more focused on real work with patients.
- A PsyD is awarded only to graduates in psychology specifically to those in their professional fields such as clinical psychology and counseling, while a PhD is awarded to psychology graduates, as well as to other fields of study such as biology, education and the liberal arts.
- The Person who graduated with a PhD can work as researchers,teachers, as well as practice in their chosen fields, while graduates with a PsyD can work as clinical psychologists and therapists.